An abstract noun is the name of something that you can’t touch, taste, hear, smell or see. It refers to a thing which does not have a material form.
Example: The government rewarded the brave man’s honesty.
happiness, pleasure, cruelty, care, anxiety, bravery, principles, freshness, helpfulness, kindness, strength, beauty, enthusiasm, fragrance, absence, health, excitement
- There was __________ at the flower show held at the Mughal Garden.
- The guests were enchanted by the __________ of the colourful blossoms.
- The __________ of the contributors was evident on their looks.
- All the judges gave grades for the __________ of the flowers.
- The atmosphere was filled with the __________ of the flowers.
- There was __________ in the moods of one and all.
- One of the prize champions said that __________ is important for the healthy growth of any plant.
- It was __________ to watch the display.
Answers: 1. excitement 2. freshness 3. happiness 4. beauty 5. fragrance 6. enthusiasm 7. care 8. pleasure
Countable and Uncountable Nouns
Fill in the blanks with the correct option.
- I went to the railway station to get __________ information. (a few / a little)
- Netizens today spend so __________ hours on the internet! (much / many)
- Mitya has a good job and makes a large __________ of money. (amount / number)
- Hurry up, the politician doesn’t have __________ time. (much / many)
- My new neighbour only knows __________ people in the town. (a little / a few)
Answers: 1. a little 2. many 3. amount 4. much 5. a few
Circle the correct option.
- May I have some/any more pie?
- Are there some/any foreign pupils in your course?
- We need an/some information about invertebrates for our biology assignment.
- There weren’t some/any people at the bus stop because the drivers were on strike.
- There aren’t some/any mangoes left. Could you get me some/any?
Answers: 1. some, 2. any, 3. some, 4. any, 5. any. some
Circle the uncountable noun in each group.
- cherry butter tomato garlic
- purse bank wallet money
- sofa wardrobe furniture armchair
- glue pot glass dialogue
- head elbow eye hair
Answers: 1. butter, 2. money 3. furniture 4. dialogue 5. elbow
Identify and write the correct countable or uncountable nouns.
- When we moved out of town, we packed up all of our __________. (furniture / furnitures.)
- They have two __________ (dogs / dog) in their home.
- I’ve had so much __________ (coffees / coffee) today!
- I do not like when women wear a lot of __________ (makeups / makeup).
- We built a house between the two __________ (trees / tree).
- The crowd came up with a lot of great _________ (ideas / idea)
- The Singhs had to load their __________ (luggages / luggage) into the truck this morning.
- All of the __________ (girls / girl) in my seminar were invited for the celebrations.
- Thank you for providing me so much __________ (informations / information)
- We are given more __________ (homework / homeworks) this year than last year.
- We were instructed to put our __________ (book / books) away before starting the test.
- John and I watch __________ (football / footballs) together every Sunday.
- My boss gave me some __________ (money / moneys) for the party.
- There was a __________ (glass / glasses) of water kept on the dining table.
- There are many __________ (people / peoples) waiting to buy tickets from the counter.
Answers: 1. furniture, 2. dogs, 3. coffee 4. make up, 5. trees6. ideas, 7. luggage, 8. girls, 9. information, 10. homework, 11. books, 12. football, 13. money, 14. glass, 15. people